Street Scenes -- McDonough Street
O. Pierre Havens (Successor to Wilson and Havens)
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Black and white stereograph image of McDonough Street, with double image pasted down on an orange card. Back of card is pink with printed publisher information and title information hand written in ink. View appears to be taken from Chippewa Square looking west down McDonough Street. Just visible on the right side of the image is the corner of the First Baptist Church, completed in 1833. This Greek Revival church is one of the oldest standing church in Savannah. Across the street from the church is the side portico of the Philbrick-Eastman House, best known for the iron fence with medallions of prominent people.
The photographer of this image, O. Pierre Havens, was born in Ossining, New York. He moved to Savannah in 1872, opening a photography studio in partnership with J. N. Wilson. He later took over the business from Wilson. In 1888, he relocated to Jacksonville, Florida, where he maintained a studio until his death in about 1912. Like many commercial photographers in America during the late nineteenth century, Havens was as occupied with publishing and marketing his photographs as he was in making them.
119 appears before the title on the back.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Stereoview Collection, MS 018, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
4 x 7 inches
MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.