Hotels -- Marshall House.
J. N. Wilson, Nos. 143 Broughton and 21 Bull Sts., Savannah Ga
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Hotels -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Black and white stereograph card of the Marshall House, with double image affixed to yellow backing paper. Publication information printed and title information handwritten in ink on the back of card. The Marshall House, located on Broughton Street, was built in 1851 by Mary Marshall. In 1857, proprietor of The Marshall House, Ralph Meldrim, added an iron veranda that ran the entire length of the front of the property. It became one of the most desirable features of the hotel. During the Civil War, the hotel served as housing for some Union troops and a hospital for the Union army. The building was expanded in 1880 by annexing an adjoining property. Over the years, it went through various renovations. In the 1950's the first floor of the building was used for businesses and the rest of the building was closed. Renovations were begun again in 1998, and the Marshall House reopened in 2001.
The photographer of this card was Jerome N. Wilson. He was born in New York but came to Savannah in 1865, seeing opportunities to expand his profession and rebuild an economy. He was a professional photographer. He advertised as a photographer of cabinet cards, carte de visits, stereographs, ferrotypes, frames, and other photographic services. His success was mixed and he was involved in a number of lawsuits, large and small, some as trivial as an overhanging sign. Much of his property was lost due to these suits. He partnered with several photographers over the years. Wilson died in 1897.
No. 44 appears before title on back of card.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Stereoview Collection, MS 018, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 3/8 x 6 7/8 inches
MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.