Street Scenes -- Broughton Street looking West from Bull St. Savannah Ga.
Pub. By J. S. Pinkussohn Cigar Co. Savannah Ga. Made in Germany
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Black and white postcard with divided back and no white border, postally unused. The view looks west on Broughton Street from Bull Street. The National Bank of Savannah on the right was demolished in 1975. The right side of the street is much changed, but many of the buildings on the left side are still standing, though some have been altered. Visible down the center of the street is the Streetcar Line. Streetcars began operation in Savannah in 1869, at first pulled by mules, but later powered by steam or electricity. They connected people to jobs and recreational activities. Routes included Thunderbolt, Isle of Hope, Montgomery, and White Bluff. By 1903, there were 54 miles of track in and around Savannah and Chatham County. Streetcars survived until after World War II, when the last streetcar trip was in August of 1946.
This card was distributed by the Pinkussohn Cigar Company, located on the first floor of the Hotel Pulaski. The hotel was on the corner of Bryan and Bull Streets. The building was torn down in 1956.
1126 F appears with publisher information on left side of the card's back.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Postcard Collection, MS 016, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches
Black and white print
MS 016 Savannah Postcard Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.