Schools -- Barnard Street School, Savannah Ga.
The Acmegraph Company, Chicago
Postmarked Jan. 28, 1915
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Public schools -- Georgia -- Savannah -- History -- Pictorial works.
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Color postcard with no border and divided back, postmarked January 28, 1915. The Barnard Street School, at 212 West Taylor Street, was designed by Norman using the same floor plan as the Anderson Street School. It was built on the site of the original Barnard Street Elementary School, which had been designed by John Norris and built in 1854. It had been used as a military hospital by Sherman’s army during the Civil War. The new 20,759 square foot school building was $75,000 in 1905. The two story building was designed in a Mediterranean revival style with a battered brick basement level, a terra cotta roof, and a central bell tower. The building was originally covered in rusticated stucco with sandstone detailing around the windows. The school closed in 1956 and served as administrative offices until 1961. It reopened as a school in 1961. It was acquired by SCAD in 1988, renovated, and renamed Pepe Hall.
This card was published by the Acmegraph Company, which operated out of Chicago between 1908 and 1918.
13419 appears at head of title on front of card.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Postcard Collection, MS 016, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches
MS 016 Savannah Postcard Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.