Government Buildings -- Custom House, Savannah Ga.
The Rotograph Co., N.Y. City (Germany)
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Public buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Black and white postcard with white border on the right hand side only, undivided back, postally unused. Image is of the Custom House in Savannah Georgia. Completed in 1852, the building housed the U.S. Post Office in the basement, the Customs Service on the first floor, and the federal courts on the second floor. This was the first building designed by John Norris, who went on to design 18 buildings while in Savannah between 1846 and 1861. The building was meant to be fireproof and was constructed entirely of stone. Norris' interest in fire protection changed the construction methods in Savannah through the use of materials such as brick and stone. Situated at the corner of Bull Street and East Bay, it is a Greek Revival structure with a distinctive cast-iron fence. The balusters are a design of closed tobacco leaf and fleur-de-lis surrounds. It is still used for its original purpose.
The Rotograph Company was in business between 1904 and 1911. The A Series cards were black and white views printed in sharply defined collotype with titles printed in letterset in a separate press run.
A 13682 appears in front of title caption on front of card.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Postcard Collection, MS 016, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches
Black and white collotype print
MS 016 Savannah Postcard Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.