Leaf 32 - T. Pantheon Vulgo Rotunda
Andrea Fei, Roma, 1625
Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.
Rome (Italy) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Pantheon (Rome, Italy)
The image depicts the view of the Pantheon as it might have appeared when built, with statues on the pediment and the building clad in marble. It was commissioned by Marcus Agrippa during the reign of Augustus (27 BC - 14 AD) and rebuilt by the emperor Hadrian about 126 AD. The building has been used as a church dedicated to "St. Mary and the Martyrs" since 609 AD. It is known for its coffered dome made of unreinforced concrete. It was also used as a tomb during the Renaissance, with artists, popes, and kings entombed there.
The verso of the leaf contains text in three languages, with the page title in Italian: Panteon detta La Rotunda.
Leaf 32 Recto and Verso
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title with leaf number, Splendore dell'antica Roma, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
Page 28.5 x 21 cm.
Image 24 x 17.75 cm.
Engraving on paper