Cemeteries and Parks -- Avenue to Fountains
O. Pierre Havens (successor to Wilson & Havens)
Parks -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Forsyth Park (Savannah, Ga.)
Fountains -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Black and white stereograph card of the entrance to Forsyth Park affixed to orange paper. The back on pink paper includes printed publication information and title information handwritten in ink. Forsyth Park was named for former Georgia Governor John Forsyth (1780-1841). William Brown Hodgson developed the idea to set aside ten acres of wooded land to create Savannah's first recreational park in the 1840s. The original landscape design was by William Bischoff. The park and fountain design owe a lot to the urban renewal that was going on in Paris. Over many years, improvements to the park were made such as adding walkways, ornamental plantings, benches, and iron fencing around the perimeter. The fountain and radiating walks were added in 1858. Additional lands were added to the park in 1867, making the total park area about 30 acres.
The photographer of this image, O. Pierre Havens, was born in Ossining, New York. He moved to Savannah in 1872, opening a photography studio in partnership with J. N. Wilson. He later took over the business from Wilson. In 1888, he relocated to Jacksonville, Florida, where he maintained a studio until his death in about 1912. Like many commercial photographers in America during the late nineteenth century, Havens was as occupied with publishing and marketing his photographs as he was in making them.
No identification mark or number appears on card.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Stereoview Collection, MS 018, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
4 x 7 inches
MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.