Downtown Buildings -- Harmony Club and Guards Armory, Savannah
Raphael Tuck & Sons Post card series no. 1010. "Savannah" Art Publishers to their Majesties, the King and Queen.
Postmarked October 22, 1904
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Black and white image with title caption in the bottom border, undivided back, postmarked October 22, 1904. This view down Bull Street shows the National Guard Armory designed by William Gibbons Preston. The Armory became the first building renovated by SCAD and was renamed Poetter Hall. Also visible is H. Rymes Art Store and the Harmony (Harmonie) Club. Established in 1865, the Harmonie Club was Savannah's first Jewish social club "instituted for social and mental improvement."
This card was produced by Raphael Tuck & Sons, who had London and New York offices between 1866 and 1960. Founded in 1866 by Raphael Tuck, a seller of furniture, pictures, and frames, the company began concentrating on the picture side of the business in the 1890s. In 1894, they printed their first Souvenir Cards. Tuck began the printing of postcards in chromolithograph. They became the first publisher to print postcards in a larger size, which became the standard. Their designs were innovative and they used a wide variety of printing techniques. They published a large variety of other formats, eventually becoming a major publishing house. Their London factory and offices were destroyed in 1940 during a German bombing raid, but after the war they began publishing again. The company was purchased by Purnell & Sons in the 1960’s. They began numbering their cards in 1898, but the system never was consistent. During the time period that this card was produced, the company was producing chromolithography.
Series No. 1010 appears with publisher information on back of card
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Postcard Collection, MS 016, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches
Black and White Print
MS 016 Savannah Postcard Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.