Leaf 52 - Templum Et Forum Minervae (Hodie Ecclessia S. Maria Super Minervae)
Andrea Fei, Roma, 1625
Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.
Rome (Italy) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Temple of Minerva
Temple and Forum of Minerva (now the church of S. Maria Sopra Minerva). There is more than one temple dedicated to Minerva, and the one that is now Santa Maria sopra Minerva (means Santa Maria over Minerva) was founded by Pompey around 50 BC. It was referred to as the Delubrum Minervae. The temple was demolished beginning around 750 and the basilica that stands today was begun in 1280. The church is located in the Piazza della Minerva, and is the only existing example of a Gothic church building in Rome.
The verso of this leaf contains text in three languages with page title in Italian: Tempio di Minerva oggi La Chiesa di S. Maria Sopra Minerva.
Leaf 52 Recto and Verso
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title with leaf number, Splendore dell'antica Roma, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
Page 28.5 x 21 cm.
Image 23.5 x 18 cm.
Engraving on paper