Leaf 49 - Templum Fortunae Virilis nunc S. Maria Aegyptiacae
Andrea Fei, Roma, 1625
Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.
Rome (Italy) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Temple of Portunus.
The Temple of Portunus is sometimes referred to as the Temple of Fortuna Virilis. Built around 100 BC, this small temple on the banks of the Tiber was dedicated to the Roman god of rivers and seaports, Portunus. It was built of tufa and travertine blocks which had been originally been coated with a fine layer of stucco. It was converted in the 9th century into the Church S. Maria de Gradellis which became in the fifteenth century S. Mary of Egypt.
The verso of this leaf contains text in three languages with page title in Italian: Tempio della Fortuna Virile.
Leaf 49 Recto and Verso.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title with leaf number, Splendore dell'antica Roma, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
Page 28.5 x 21 cm.
Image about 23.5 x 17.75 cm.
Engraving on paper
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.