Advertisement -- Columbia Phonograph Company (Columbia Records)..
Periodicals -- Illustrations.
Advertising, Magazine -- United States -- History.
Half page advertisement for the Columbia Phonograph Company.
The Columbia Phonograph Company was originally a local company run by Edward Easton, distributing and selling Edison phonographs and phonograph cylinders in Washington, D.C., Maryland and Delaware. Its name was derived from from the District of Columbia, which was its headquarters. As was the custom of some regional phonograph companies, Columbia produced many commercial cylinder recordings of its own, and its catalogue of musical records in 1891 was 10 pages. Columbia's ties to Edison and the North American Phonograph Company were severed in 1894 with the North American Phonograph Company's breakup, and thereafter sold only records and phonographs of its own manufacture. During this era, Columbia used the famous "Magic Notes" logo, a pair of sixteenth notes in a circle, both in the United States and overseas. Columbia stopped recording and manufacturing wax cylinder records in 1908, after arranging to issue celluloid cylinder records made by the Indestructible Record Company of Albany, New York, as "Columbia Indestructible Records". In July 1912, Columbia decided to concentrate exclusively on disc records and stopped manufacturing cylinder phonographs although they continued to sell Indestructible's cylinders under the Columbia name for a short while.
Volume 59, number 1526, page 197.
9 1/2 x 11 inches
Print on paper