Downtown Buildings -- Oglethorpe Memorial and City Hall, Savannah, Ga.
Valentine & Sons Publishing, New York, printed in Great Britain
Postmark is not legible, 1905-1915.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Public buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Color postcard with divided back and no border, with a postcard that is not legible. The postcard depicts a view of City Hall, the Oglethorpe Memorial Bench, and buildings on Bay Street. The Memorial Bench was placed by the Colonial Dames 1905 to honor James Oglethorpe and was located on the site where he pitched his tent on arriving in what is now Savannah. Hyman Wallace Witcover designed and built the Savannah City Hall, which hosted its opening reception in January of 1906. It is a Renaissance Revival building with classic proportions with exterior finishes of rough and smooth granite and limestone. The 70 foot dome was originally in copper, but in 1987, was gilded. The building of red brick was owned in the 1920s by the Neal Blun Company, which sold building supplies. In 1981, the Hyatt Regency Hotel was built on the site of the Blun Building.
The card was published by Valentine and Sons. Originally a Scottish publisher, they opened a New York office in 1907. The cards were still printed in Great Britain and used a lithographic halftone process that had a distinct look. Postcards were numbered and have a three digit prefix and a three digit suffix.
203,452. J.V. appears near lower left corner on front of card.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Postcard Collection, MS 016, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
MS 016 Savannah Postcard Collection, Savannah College of Art and Design, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections.
3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches