Leaf 83 - Circus Maximus
Andrea Fei, Roma, 1625
Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.
Circus -- Rome.
Rome (Italy) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Circus Maximus. The Roman circus was designed for chariot races, though other events were held in these arenas.
The Circus Maximus was located between the Aventine and Palatine Hills and may have been established as early as sixth century BC by Tarquinius Priscus. Upgrades such as starting gates and turning posts were made on a number of occasions throughout the years. In 7 BC, it was described as one of the most beautiful structures in Rome. It was large measuring 2,037 feet long by 387 feet wide and could seat up to 150,000 people.
The verso of this leaf contains text in three languages with page title in Italian:
Leaf 83 Recto and Verso.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title with leaf number, Splendore dell'antica Roma, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
Page 28.5 x 21 cm.
Image 23.5 x 17.75 cm.
Engraving on paper
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.