Theaters -- The Lucas Theatre, Savannah Ga.
E. C. Kropp Co., Milwaukee
Theaters -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Color postcard with white border and divided back, addressed, but not stamped or postmarked. Arthur Lucas built the Lucas Theatre in 1921 with architect C.K. Howell. Howell was the architect for a number of theaters all over the country. According to a 1920’s era postcard of the theater it was built on the site of the home of Sir John Houston, the first Governor of Georgia. At the time, it was state of the art and sumptuous. It was an eclectic mix of many styles, including Adamesque, Italianate, and Art Deco. The Lucas was built primarily as a movie palace, but also included a stage for live performances. Arthur Lucas owned more than 20 theaters throughout the South, including the Fox Theater in Atlanta, but the Lucas Theatre in Savannah is the only one named after him. In 1976, the Lucas Theatre closed. Several unsuccessful attempts were made to convert the theater into an alternate use, but the building was eventually slated for demolition.
In 1986, Lucas Theatre for the Performing Arts, Inc. was established as a not-for-profit corporation by Savannah residents Emma and Lee Adler and the building was purchased. The restoration took a 14 year campaign and 14 million dollars. The effort was aided by donations from Savannahians, such celebrities as Kevin Spacey, and the cast and crew of Forrest Gump. In December of 2000, the Lucas had a grand reopening. The Lucas Theater now enjoys a relationship with the Savannah College of Art and Design. The college uses the space for a number of events such as the Savannah Film Festival while supporting the theater’s overhead. The college’s support makes the Lucas available for many community uses, also. The theater has presented not only film entertainment, but also concerts and performances, plays, and musicals, bringing in an average of more than 1,000 people per week.
The publisher of the postcard was E. C. Kropp, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. They published chromolithographic cards and, later, linen cards with a fine grain, between 1907 through 1956.
17265 N appears on the back over the address area.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Postcard Collection, MS 016, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches
MS 016 Savannah Postcard Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.