Aerial View -- Bird's Eye view
J. N. Wilson, 21 Bull St., Savannah Ga
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Aerial Views.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Black and white stereograph image of Bay Street, with double image pasted down on an orange card. Back of card is pink with printed publisher information and title information hand written in ink. The view appears to have been taken from the Independent Presbyterian Church, looking north, showing Bull Street and vicinity. The square that is visible is Wright Square and the church is the Lutheran Church of the Ascension, designed by George B. Clarke in 1879. The Greek Revival building next to it was the Chatham County Court House. It was demolished in 1889 and replaced with the current Romanesque Revival Court House designed by William G. Preston. In the background is the Savannah River with the South Carolina rice fields in the distance.
The photographer of this card was Jerome N. Wilson. He was born in New York but came to Savannah in 1865, seeing opportunities to expand his profession and rebuild an economy. He was a professional photographer. He advertised as a photographer of cabinet cards, carte de visits, stereographs, ferrotypes, frames, and other photographic services. His success was mixed and he was involved in a number of lawsuits, large and small, some as trivial as an overhanging sign. Much of his property was lost due to these suits. He partnered with several photographers over the years. Wilson died in 1897.
No identifying mark or number found.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Stereoview Collection, MS 018, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
4 x 7 inches
MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.