Aerial View -- Bird's Eye view, Bay St. looking up.
O. Pierre Havens, successor to Wilson & Havens
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Savannah (Ga.) – Aerial Views.
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Black and white stereograph image of Bay Street, with double image pasted down on a pink card. Back of card is orange with printed publisher information and paper title label pasted on. The view appears to be looking west down East Bay Street; telephone poles are in evidence. Signs on the street are partially identifiable. A wool and hide vendor, a tobacco shop, and street vendors are in visible.
The cylindrical tower in the center of the view is the water tank that was located in Franklin Square, also known as Water Tank Square. The tank was built in 1854, but it is not known when it was taken down. Franklin Square itself disappeared in 1935, but was reestablished in the 1980s to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the founding of Georgia.
The photographer of this image, O. Pierre Havens, was born in Ossining, New York. He moved to Savannah in 1872, opening a photography studio in partnership with J. N. Wilson. He later took over the business from Wilson. In 1888, he relocated to Jacksonville, Florida, where he maintained a studio until his death in about 1912. Like many commercial photographers in America during the late nineteenth century, Havens was as occupied with publishing and marketing his photographs as he was in making them.
No identifying mark or number found.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Stereoview Collection, MS 018, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 7/8 x 7 inches
MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.