Leaf 33 - Pantheon Vulgo Rotunda
Andrea Fei, Roma, 1625
Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.
Rome (Italy) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Pantheon (Rome, Italy)
The image here is of the vestiges of the Pantheon, the building as it was in the time that Lauro made his engravings. The statues on the pediment and marble cladding have been removed. The building was commissioned by Marcus Agrippa during the reign of Augustus (27 BC - 14 AD) and rebuilt by the emperor Hadrian about 126 AD. The building has been used as a church dedicated to "St. Mary and the Martyrs" since 609 AD. It is known for its coffered dome made of unreinforced concrete. It was also used as a tomb during the Renaissance, with artists, popes, and kings entombed there.
The verso of this leaf is blank
Leaf 33 Recto.
Page 28.5 x 21 cm.
Image 23.5 x 17.75 cm.
Engraving on paper