Leaf 164 - Topographia Puteo Lorum
Andrea Fei, Roma, 1625
Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.
Rome (Italy) -- Maps, Pictorial.
Bay of Pozzuoli
Mare Puteolanum, now the Bay of Pozzuoli. Puteoli, now known as Pozzuoli, was a Greek colony, but became a Roman colony in 194 BC. On the coast of Campania, Pozzuoli’s harbor was a hub for trade going out and for the Alexandrian grain ships coming in. It was about 170 miles from Rome. The name Puteoli was from the odiferous sulfur smell in the area from Solfatara, an extinct volcano, and several sulfur springs.
The verso of this leaf is blank.
Leaf 164 Recto
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title with leaf number, Splendore dell'antica Roma, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
Page 28.5 x 21 cm.
Image 23.5 x 17.75 cm.
Engraving on paper
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.