Aerial View -- Panaramic View Bull St.
O. Pierre Havens (successor to Wilson & Havens)
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Aerial Views.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Black and white stereograph image of Bull Street, with double image pasted down on an orange card. Back of card is pink with printed publisher information and title information hand written in ink. Only one building sign is visible and though the name of the business is obscured, Dry Goods 127 is readable. In the center of the card is the Nathaniel Greene monument that stands in Johnson Square.
If this view of Bull Street is compared to the previous view of Bull Street, Pulaski House, the vantage point is almost identical, but the steeple for the Lutheran Church of the Ascension, built in 1879, is not visible, nor are the utility wires.
The photographer of this image, O. Pierre Havens, was born in Ossining, New York. He moved to Savannah in 1872, opening a photography studio in partnership with J. N. Wilson. He later took over the business from Wilson. In 1888, he relocated to Jacksonville, Florida, where he maintained a studio until his death in about 1912. Like many commercial photographers in America during the late nineteenth century, Havens was as occupied with publishing and marketing his photographs as he was in making them.
No identifying mark or number found.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Stereoview Collection, MS 018, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 3/4 x 7 inches
MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.