Street Scenes -- Bull Street from Madison Square
Wilson & Havens
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Black and white stereograph of Madison Square with double image affixed to yellow card. Printed publication information is on the back of the card, also yellow, and the title is printed on paper pasted under publication information. Madison Square, named for James Madison, was laid out in 1837. In the center of the square, though not visible in the image, is an 1888 statue by Alexander Doyle memorializing Sgt. William Jasper, who, though mortally wounded in the Siege of Savannah, heroically recovered his company's banner.
J. N. Wilson and O. Pierre Havens were both photographers from New York state who came to Savannah after the Civil War. Wilson arrived in 1865 and Havens in 1872. They formed a brief partnership after Havens arrival, but it is not known how long that relationship lasted. Havens moved to Jacksonville, Florida in the late 1880s and Wilson died in 1897.
125 appears before title on back.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Stereoview Collection, MS 018, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 7 inches
MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.