Street Scenes -- Broughton Street looking West Savannah Ga.
Detroit Publishing Company
1907 Copyright, postmarked Feb. 6, 1911
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Color postcard with white border and divided back, postmarked February 6, 1911. On the left front of the card is the sign for Adler's. The Leopold Adler department store was established in 1878. Located on the corner of Bull and Broughton, some considered it Savannah's answer to Saks Fifth Avenue. The store was destroyed by a fire on May 20, 1958. After that, the store reopened in one of the outlying shopping centers. The family was also on the board of Trustees of the National Bank of Savannah across the street.
This card is labeled "Phostint" card made only by the Detroit Publishing Co. It operated between 1880’s-1936 out of Detroit, Michigan. The company originally produced religious books and calendars under the name Detroit Photographic Company Ltd., but shifted production in 1897 when owners realized that there was the potential in postcards. They negotiated with a Swiss company and became the sole American company to license a Swiss photochrome process. In 1907, they registered the process under the name Phostint. They improved the quality over the years and did the majority of their printing in Detroit.
11519 appears on the lower left of card front before title
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Postcard Collection, MS 016, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches
MS 016 Savannah Postcard Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.