Leaf 162 - Del Serenmo Gran duca di toscana Palazzo et giardino nel monte Pincio in Roma
Andrea Fei, Roma, 1625
Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.
Architecture, Roman -- Italy -- Rome.
Rome (Italy) -- Maps, Pictorial.
Garden of the Grand Duke of Tuscany on the Monte Pincio. Villa Medici on the Monte Pincio. The garden of the Villa Medici at Monte Pincio were created in the late 1500s on the site of the ancient gardens of the Acilians near the field of Mars. Cardinal Ferdinando de' Medici, bought the villa and land in 1576. He then enlarged the garden on the north-east side by adding a piece of ground that had belonged to Catherine de’ Medici. He brought the villa and garden close to its present state. This garden design included antique statues and an obelisk. The earliest drawings, such as this one of Lauro’s, show the square garden bed design and fountain. Lauro’s drawing has a numbered key to many of the sculptures which Cardinal Ferdinando de' Medici bought in 1584 bought from the Palazzo Valle.
The verso of this leaf is blank.
Leaf 162 Recto
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title with leaf number, Splendore dell'antica Roma, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
Page 28.5 x 21 cm.
Image 23.5 x 17.75 cm.
Engraving on paper
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.