Advertisement -- The Baldwin Piano.
Periodicals -- Illustrations.
Advertising, Magazine -- United States -- History.
Half page advertisement for The Baldwin Piano Company.
The Baldwin Piano Company traces its origins to 1857, when Dwight Hamilton Baldwin began teaching piano, organ, and violin in Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1862, Baldwin started a Decker Brothers piano dealership and, in 1866, hired Lucien Wulsin as a clerk. In 1873, Wulsin became a partner in the dealership, which was then known as D.H. Baldwin & Company. In 1889–1890, Baldwin formed two production companies: Hamilton Organ, which built reed organs, and the Baldwin Piano Company, which made pianos. The company's first piano, an upright, debuted in 1891. Under Wulsin’s leadership, the Baldwin Company became the largest piano dealer in the Midwestern United States by the 1890s. After Baldwin’s death in 1899, Wulsin purchased his estate and continued the company's shift from retail to manufacturing. By 1913, Baldwin Piano was exporting to thirty-two countries and had retail stores throughout the United States. Baldwin is presently a subsidiary of the Gibson Guitar Corporation, though it ceased domestic production of pianos in December 2008.
Volume 59, number 1529, page 153.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, volume and issue, Life, New York, N.Y: Life, date, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections periodical collection, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
9 1/2 x 11 inches
Print on paper