Cemeteries and Parks -- Park Fountain Playing
O. Pierre Havens, Successor to Wilson & Havens
Forsyth Park (Savannah, Ga.)
Fountains -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Black and white stereograph card of the Forsyth Park fountain with double image affixed to pink paper backing. The back of card on orange paper has printed publication information and a printed paper label with title and number. The fountain was added to the park in 1858 and is constructed of cast iron. There are similar fountains in Peru and New York. All three fountains are based on the design for the fountain in the Place de la Concorde in Paris. Over the years the fountain suffered damage and was completely restored in 1988.
The photographer of this image, O. Pierre Havens, was born in Ossining, New York. He moved to Savannah in 1872, opening a photography studio in partnership with J. N. Wilson. He later took over the business from Wilson. In 1888, he relocated to Jacksonville, Florida, where he maintained a studio until his death in about 1912. Like many commercial photographers in America during the late nineteenth century, Havens was as occupied with publishing and marketing his photographs as he was in making them.
71 appears before title on back of card.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Stereoview Collection, MS 018, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 3/4 x 7 inches
MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.