Leaf 123 - Basilica Caii et Lucii
Andrea Fei, Roma, 1625
Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.
Architecture, Roman -- Italy -- Rome.
Basilica of Caius and Lucius.
The Basilica of Caius and Lucius was built by Augustus and named for his grandsons. A basilica was building which could serve as a court of law and an exchange, or place of meeting for merchants or business men. Julius Caesar built the Basilica Julia and completed by Augustus. It burnt and was rebuilt by Augustus, who renamed it the Basilica of Caius (or Gaius) and Lucius. The new name did not last, however and it is now known as the Basilica Julia. Fragments of the building remain.
The verso of this leaf contains text in 3 languages with the page title in Latin: Basilica di Caio E Lucio.
Leaf 123 Recto and Verso.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title with leaf number, Splendore dell'antica Roma, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
Page 28.5 x 21 cm.
Image 23.5 x 17.75 cm.
Engraving on paper
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.