Downtown Buildings -- Knights of Pythias Castle Hall, Savannah, Ga.
Published by F. M. Kirby & Co. Made in USA
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Color postcard, postally unused, no border, not dated, with a divided back. The Knights of Pythias Castle Hall was originally built as a residence in the 1820s, but was purchased to use as a lodge in 1884. Renovations to the building in 1898 added Gothic Revival elements with a crenellated parapet and towers. A terra cotta plaque was added to the upper story front facade. Originally located on Telfair Square, the building is no longer standing, demolished to build the Juliette Gordon Low Federal Building. The Fraternal Order of Knights of Pythias is an international fraternity founded in Washington, DC, by Justus H. Rathbone in 1864. Their members are dedicated to the cause of universal peace through understanding. The Knights of Pythias Lodge in Savannah was established in September of 1869.
The publisher of this postcard was Fred Morgan Kirby of Wilkes-Barre, PA who produced cards between 1887-1997 to sell in the F. M. Kirby stores, a large chain of 5 and 10 cent stores. They specialized in views of the American South and mid-Atlantic region.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Postcard Collection, MS 016, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches
MS 016 Savannah Postcard Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.