Cemeteries and Parks -- Music Stand, Forsyth Park
The Southern Series
Parks -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Forsyth Park (Savannah, Ga.)
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Black and white stereograph card of Forsyth Park with double image affixed to yellow paper. Title and publication information is printed on front and back is left blank. While it is not known when this image was photographed, it is known that in the early years of the park, there were many tall pine trees that were eventually removed to make a more landscaped park setting. Forsyth Park was named for former Georgia Governor John Forsyth (1780-1841). William Brown Hodgson developed the idea to set aside ten acres of wooded land to create Savannah's first recreational park in the 1840s. The original landscape design was by William Bischoff. The park and fountain design owe a lot to the urban renewal that was going on in Paris. Over many years, improvements to the park were made such as adding walkways, ornamental plantings, benches, and iron fencing around the perimeter. The fountain and radiating walks were added in 1858. Additional lands were added to the park in 1867, making the total park area about 30 acres.
The Southern Series of stereographs were published in Boston by Charles Pollock. Chandler Seaver, Jr. of Boston was the photographer and he traveled to other cities such as Charleston and Jacksonville as well as Savannah. Seaver's photographs were taken between 1870 and his death in 1879.
No. 27 appears before title on front of card.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Stereoview Collection, MS 018, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 7 inches
MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.