Cemeteries and Parks -- Bonaventure
J. N. Wilson S.E. cor. Broughton and Whitaker Sts. Savannah, Ga.
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Monuments.
Cemeteries -- Georgia -- Savannah -- History -- Pictorial works.
Black and white stereograph of Bonaventure Cemetery with double image affixed to yellow card. Printed publication information is on the front of the card and the title is handwritten in ink on the back, also yellow. Depicted is one of the cemetery paths through moss covered live oaks. Bonaventure Cemetery was established in 1846 when the Bonaventure plantation lands were sold and 70 acres were set aside as a public cemetery. The Evergreen Cemetery Company managed the grounds and cemetery until 1907, when it became property of the City of Savannah.
The photographer of this card was Jerome N. Wilson. He was born in New York but came to Savannah in 1865, seeing opportunities to expand his profession and rebuild an economy. He was a professional photographer. He advertised as a photographer of cabinet cards, carte de visits, stereographs, ferrotypes, frames, and other photographic services. His success was mixed and he was involved in a number of lawsuits, large and small, some as trivial as an overhanging sign. Much of his property was lost due to these suits. He partnered with several photographers over the years. Wilson died in 1897.
No. 1 appears under title on back.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Stereoview Collection, MS 018, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/4 x 6 7/8 inches
MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.