Advertisement -- Tiffany & Co.
Periodicals -- Illustrations.
Advertising, Magazine -- United States -- History.
Half page advertisement for Tiffany & Co. alerting customers that will soon move to its new building at Fifth Avenue and 37th Street in New York.
Founded by Charles Lewis Tiffany and Teddy Young in New York City in 1837 as a "stationery and fancy goods emporium," the store initially sold a wide variety of stationery items, and operated as Tiffany, Young and Ellis in Lower Manhattan. The name was shortened to Tiffany & Co. in 1853 when Charles Tiffany took control, and the firm's emphasis on jewelry was established. Tiffany & Co. has since opened stores in major cities all over the world. Since 1940, Tiffany's flagship store has been located at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 57th Street in Manhattan. Well known for its window displays, the store has been the location for a number of films including Breakfast at Tiffany's and Sweet Home Alabama. The former Tiffany and Co. building on 37th Street that is mentioned in this advertisement is on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Volume 45, number 1166, page 235.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, volume and issue, Life, New York, N.Y: Life, date, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections periodical collection, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
9 1/2 x 11 inches
Print on paper
Copyright is retained by the authors or artists of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.