Cemeteries and Parks -- Bonaventure
J. N. Wilson, 21 Bull Street, (opposite Screven House,) Savannah, Ga.
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Monuments.
Cemeteries -- Georgia -- Savannah -- History -- Pictorial works.
Black and white stereograph card of Bonaventure Cemetery, with double image affixed to orange paper. On the back, publication information in printed on pink paper, with title and number handwritten in ink. The view is of an unknown memorial plot in the cemetery. Located three miles east of downtown on the Wilmington River, Bonaventure Cemetery was established in 1846 when the Bonaventure plantation lands were sold and 70 acres were set aside as a public cemetery. The Evergreen Cemetery Company managed the grounds and cemetery until 1907, when it became property of the City of Savannah.
The photographer of this card was Jerome N. Wilson. He was born in New York but came to Savannah in 1865, seeing opportunities to expand his profession and rebuild an economy. He was a professional photographer. He advertised as a photographer of cabinet cards, carte de visits, stereographs, ferrotypes, frames, and other photographic services. His success was mixed and he was involved in a number of lawsuits, large and small, some as trivial as an overhanging sign. Much of his property was lost due to these suits. He partnered with several photographers over the years. Wilson died in 1897.
No. 26 appears above title on back.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Stereoview Collection, MS 018, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 7/8 x 7 inches
MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.