Cemeteries and Parks -- Moss Avenue, Bonaventure Cemetery, Savannah Ga.
Geo. Barker. Niagra Falls, N.Y
1886 Copyright; card information list prize won in 1889
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Monuments.
Cemeteries -- Georgia -- Savannah -- History -- Pictorial works.
Black and white stereograph card of Bonaventure Cemetery with double image affixed to peach paper. Publisher and title information are printed on front of card, back of card is blank. Depicted is one of the cemetery paths through moss covered live oaks. Bonaventure Cemetery was established in 1846 when the Bonaventure plantation lands were sold and 70 acres were set aside as a public cemetery. The Evergreen Cemetery Company managed the grounds and cemetery until 1907, when it became property of the City of Savannah.
The publisher of this stereograph was George Barker. He was born in London, Ontario, Canada, in 1844. He learned photography from James Egan and established his own London studio. In 1863, Barker moved to Niagara Falls, New York, eventually opening his own studio in 1865. Barker’s negatives were purchased by Underwood & Underwood after his death in 1894.
No identifying marks or numbers found.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 7 inches
MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.