Government Buildings -- Public Library, Savannah Ga.
Published by the Silver 5 & 10 Cent Store, Savannah Ga. Made in USA
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Color postcard with no border and divided back, postally unused. The image is of Hodgson Hall, which was constructed in 1876 as a to serve as the headquarters for the Georgia Historical Society. Hodgson Hall was designed by the American Institute of Architect’s founder Detlef Lienau, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was a gift of Margaret Telfair Hodgson and Mary Telfair as a memorial to William B. Hodgson, a prominent Savannah citizen, American diplomat, and curator of the Society. He was the husband of Margaret Telfair Hodgson and died in 1871 while on a trip to New York. In 1903, a plan was enacted between the Georgia Historical Society and the City of Savannah to cooperate in the establishing the Savannah Public Library. While some services began in June, the library was not fully functional until November 1, 1903. The public library shared its space with the Georgia Historical Society in Hodgson Hall through August 1916.
The card was distributed by Silver's 5 & 10 Cent Store, which was located at 201-203 West Broughton Street.
A-14108 appears at the bottom corner of the message box.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Postcard Collection, MS 016, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches
MS 016 Savannah Postcard Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.