Cemeteries and Parks -- Confederate Monument
Havens, (successor to Wilson & Havens)
Forsyth Park (Savannah, Ga.)
Savannah (Ga.) -- Monuments.
Parks -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Black and white stereograph card of Forsyth Park with double image affixed to orange paper. The back of the card is pink paper with publication information printed and title information handwritten in ink. The Confederate Monument was built with funds raise by the Savannah’s Ladies Memorial Association. They had specific wishes for the statue as to materials, but subject matter was left to the sculptor. When it was unveiled in 1875, it did not meet with a positive response. The top of the memorial had the figure "Silence" at the top. A donor offered to pay to have it remodeled and hired a different sculptor to do the job. The new version, depicted here, included a bronze soldier at the top the monument. When presented again in 1879, it was to much more positive reviews. The sculpture of Silence was moved to Laurel Grove Cemetery to the Gettysburg plot.
The photographer of this image, O. Pierre Havens, was born in Ossining, New York. He moved to Savannah in 1872, opening a photography studio in partnership with J. N. Wilson. He later took over the business from Wilson. In 1888, he relocated to Jacksonville, Florida, where he maintained a studio until his death in about 1912. Like many commercial photographers in America during the late nineteenth century, Havens was as occupied with publishing and marketing his photographs as he was in making them.
No identifying marks or numbers found.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Stereoview Collection, MS 018, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
4 x 7 inches
MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.