Leaf 67 - Thermae Novatianae Hodie Templum S. Pudentianae
Andrea Fei, Roma, 1625
Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.
Rome (Italy) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Basilica of Santa Pudenziana
The Novatian Baths, now the Church of Saint Pudentiana. The Novatian Baths were also known as the Timotene Baths and were part of the house of the Pudens family. There is a legend that a Roman senator named Pudente gave Saint Peter shelter in 50 AD. His daughters, Pudenziana and Prassede asked that a church be built on the site of the house. Churches were built for each daughter. Inside the walls of Santa Puenziana is evidence of a bath house dating to Emperor Hadrian. The conversion process from bath house to church took place in the early 400s and the church is known for its mosaics. At the back of the apse, the original stamped brickwork from the bath are exposed.
The verso of this leaf contains text in three languages with page title in Italian: Terme Novate.
Leaf 67 Recto and Verso.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title with leaf number, Splendore dell'antica Roma, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
Page 28.5 x 21 cm.
Image 23.5 x 17.75 cm.
Engraving on paper
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.