Leaf 117 - De Curia Hostilia In Monte Caelio Ubi Hodie Aedes SS. Io Et Pavli
Andrea Fei, Roma, 1625
Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.
Architecture, Roman -- Italy -- Rome.
The title in Latin translates to "Senate House on the Monte Caelio, now the church of Saints Io and Paul." The Curia Hostilia was the meeting place for the Senate during the Roman Republic and was located in the Roman Forum. It was part of the Comitium, which was the political gathering place. The building has been ascribed to Tullus Hostilius, who reigned between 673 BC – 642 BC. The building was replaced and enlarged several times, but was destroyed in 53 BC. The Curia Julia, which still stands and has been restored, was built close to the site. Lauro's entry locates the Curia Hostilia on the Caelian Hill, but scholars locate it in the Roman Forum. The church of Saints Io and Paul was built over a basilica on the Caelian Hill.
The verso of this leaf contains text in 3 languages and is titled Curia Ostilia in Italian.
Leaf 117 recto and verso
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title with leaf number, Splendore dell'antica Roma, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
Page 28.5 x 21 cm.
Image 23.5 x 17.75 cm.
Engraving on paper
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.