Downtown Buildings -- The Olde Pink House
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Historic sites -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Commercial buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Image is from a color slide taken by Myrtle Jones of the Habersham House, now known and the Old Pink House. Myrtle Jones, better know for her paintings, took numerous photographs of buildings in Savannah and of the surrounding areas. Many she used later as reference for paintings. Her photographs were largely undated, but range from the 1960s to the 1990s. Her photos document Savannah architecture in a transitional point in time.
The Olde Pink House was named for the pink stucco, which covers its old brick. It was 1789 for James Habersham Jr., one of Savannah's most important early cotton factors and founding-family members. The Georgian mansion was built on a lot that was originally a land grant from the British Crown. The building survived the fire of 1796. The house was a residence occupied by the Bolton family between 1804 to 1812. Between 1812 and 1865, the house became a commercial building for Planter's Bank and First Bank of Georgia. Union General Zebulon York used it for his headquarters in 1865. It now houses Olde Pink House, a restaurant and tavern.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, MS 002, The Myrtle Jones Papers, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, Savannah College of Art and Design.
2 x 2 inches
The Myrtle Jones Papers, MS 002. Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design
Copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.