Leaf 40 - De Templo Mercurii
Andrea Fei, Roma, 1625
Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.
Rome (Italy) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Temple of Mercury
The image depicts the Temple of Mercury, located on the Aventine Hill and dedicated in 495 BC. Mercury took on a similar role to Hermes in Greek Mythology, and dedicating the temple in May associated Mercury with parent Zeus and Maia. It was one of the first temples to use a concrete domed roof.
The verso of this leaf contains text in three languages with page titles in Italian: Tempio di Mercurio.
Leaf 40 Recto and Verso.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title with leaf number, Splendore dell'antica Roma, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
Page 28.5 x 21 cm.
Image 23.5 x 17.75 cm.
Engraving on paper
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.