Black and white stereograph card of the Marshall House, with double image affixed to yellow backing paper. Publication information printed and title information handwritten in ink on the back of card. The Marshall House, located on Broughton Street, was built in 1851 by Mary Marshall. In 1857, proprietor of The Marshall House, Ralph Meldrim, added an iron veranda that ran the entire length of the front of the property. It became one of the most desirable features of the hotel. During the Civil War, the hotel served as housing for some Union troops and a hospital for the Union army. The building was expanded in 1880 by annexing an adjoining property. Over the years, it went through various renovations. In the 1950's the first floor of the building was used for businesses and the rest of the building was closed. Renovations were begun again in 1998, and the Marshall House reopened in 2001.