The Villa d'Este is a villa in Tivoli, near Rome. Cardinal Ippolito II d'Este was born in 1509. He spent many years at the French court. In 1539 he was made a cardinal by Pope Paul III. Pope Julius III appointed him governor of Tivoli and he moved from France to Tivoli, to the east of Rome. Finding the accommodations in the governor’s residence, part of a Franciscan monastery, not to his liking, he built a palace and gardens in portions of the monastery. There were many fountains both inside the palace and in the gardens. The garden, terraced onto a steep hillside, is designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in recognition of its significance in the history of garden design.