Color postcard with white border and divided back, addressed, but not stamped or postmarked. Arthur Lucas built the Lucas Theatre in 1921 with architect C.K. Howell. Howell was the architect for a number of theaters all over the country. According to a 1920’s era postcard of the theater it was built on the site of the home of Sir John Houston, the first Governor of Georgia. At the time, it was state of the art and sumptuous. It was an eclectic mix of many styles, including Adamesque, Italianate, and Art Deco. The Lucas was built primarily as a movie palace, but also included a stage for live performances. Arthur Lucas owned more than 20 theaters throughout the South, including the Fox Theater in Atlanta, but the Lucas Theatre in Savannah is the only one named after him. In 1976, the Lucas Theatre closed. Several unsuccessful attempts were made to convert the theater into an alternate use, but the building was eventually slated for demolition.