Leaf 124 - Basilica Sive Porticus Antonini PII (Ad Platea Que Uulgo Di Pietra Dicitur)
Andrea Fei, Roma, 1625
Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.
Basilicas -- Italy -- Rome.
Architecture, Roman -- Italy -- Rome.
According to author Edward Burton writing in 1828, the Temple of Antoninus Pius was located on the Piazza de Pietra next to the Pantheon on the Campus Martius. In 1828, it was used as a custom house. He mentioned that at the time he viewed it, the part still standing was one of the sides of the portico that surrounded the temple and it had 11 columns, but that an earlier observer had counted 42 exterior columns and 18 in the interior supporting the cella. Between the columns was brickwork.
The verso of this leaf contains text in three languages with the title in Italian: Basilica D'Antonino Pio
Leaf 124 Recto and verso.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title with leaf number, Splendore dell'antica Roma, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
Page 28.5 x 21 cm.
Image 23.5 x 17.75 cm.
Engraving on paper
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.