Leaf 112 - Amphatheatrum Titi Vulgo Colosseum qua respicit S. Ioannem Lateranum
Andrea Fei, Roma, 1625
Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.
Rome (Italy) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Amphitheaters -- Rome.
Colosseum (Rome, Italy)
The Amphitheater of Vespasian was dedicated just prior to his death in 79 AD. It was built in the area that had been a pond in Nero's Domus Aurea. Vespasian only built ti to the top of the second arcade; it was enlarged by Titus to the fourth arcade. There continued to be changes and additions by a number of emperors after that. The Emperor Hadrian moved the 100 foot tall statue of the Colossus of Nero next to the amphitheater. He renamed the statue Sun God and the amphitheater became commonly known as the Colosseum. The statue is no longer standing and all that remains now is the pedestal.
The verso of this leaf is blank.
The title of this page makes reference to St. John Lateran, which was the name of the oldest Christian Basilica in Rome, built by Emperor Constantine on the site of the palace of the Laterani family. The Basilica is less than a mile away, but it is not clear what the connection is. It has been suggested that some of the building materials for the basilica came from the Colosseum.
Leaf 112 Recto
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title with leaf number, Splendore dell'antica Roma, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
Page 28.5 x 21 cm.
Image 23.5 x 17.75 cm.
Engraving on paper
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.