Advertisement -- Packard Motor Car Company.
Periodicals -- Illustrations.
Advertising, Magazine -- United States -- History.
Full page advertisement for Packard Motor Car Company.
Packard was an American luxury automobile brand built by the Packard Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan. Packard was founded by James Ward Packard, his brother William Doud Packard and their partner, George Lewis Weiss, in the city of Warren, Ohio. James Ward Packard believed that they could build a better horseless carriage than the Winton cars owned by Weiss and had some ideas for improvements in automobile design. In September, 1900, the Ohio Automobile Company was founded as the manufacturer, while the cars themselves were sold as Packards. The automobiles quickly gained an excellent reputation, and the company name was soon changed; on October 13, 1902, it became the Packard Motor Car Company. From the very beginning, Packard automobiles introduced a number of innovations in its designs, including the modern steering wheel and, years later, the first air-conditioning in a passenger car. The first Packard automobiles were produced in 1899, and the last in 1958.
Volume 59, number 1528, page 290.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, volume and issue, Life, New York, N.Y: Life, date, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections periodical collection, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
9 1/2 x 11 inches
Print on paper
Copyright is retained by the authors or artists of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.