Cemeteries and Parks -- Savannah GA. Forsyth Park
T. M. McAllister, Manuf'g Optician, New York
Savannah (Ga.) -- Monuments.
Forsyth Park (Savannah, Ga.)
Parks -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Glass lantern slide of Forsyth Park Sphinxes, publication information printed on slide, title on back of slide, handwritten on a paper label.These two beautiful Egyptian statues formerly flanked the entrance to Forsyth Park. the statures were blown up by small boys armed with large firecrackers. The sphinxes were about 6 feet long and constructed of a relatively soft metal alloy of zinc, tin and lead. The vandals packed the statues with giant firecrackers and blew them up. This first attempt was only strong enough to break up the statues into large chunks. Charles A. Cox, the owner of a tin and roofing shop was able to restore the statues. But the vandals came back with larger explosives and the already weakened statues did not survive the second assault.
T.H. McAllister was an optician and cane manufacturer, Philadelphia, Pa., 1842-1860. The firm was listed as McAllister & Co., at 48 Chestnut Street from 1842 to 1855 and included a number of McAllisters. The firm moved to New York in 1865. They produced stereoscopes and offered magic lantern slides and equipment.
No. 659 appears on paper label on back of slide in front of title.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Stereoview Collection, MS 018, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
Glass Lantern Slide
3 1/4 x 4 inches
Image on Glass
MS 018 Savannah Stereoview Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.