Government Buildings -- Interior of Fort Pulaski, Savannah Ga.
Pub. By Miller's Camera Shop, Williamsburg, Va., made by Dexter Press, Inc., West Nyack NY
Architecture -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
Fortification -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Savannah (Ga.) -- Monuments.
Glossy color print, with a divided back and no border, postally unused. Caption from the back of card: Interior of Fort Pulaski, Savannah Ga. By the successful use of rifled cannon to breach the walls of Fort Pulaski, April 10-11, 1862, Federal Forces introduced a new era in artillery and fortifications. A National Park Service Area Kodachrome by Walter H. Miller. In 1812, to protect the United States against foreign invasion, President James Madison ordered a new system of coastal fortifications. Fort Pulaski was planned to protect the port of Savannah and construction began in 1829. Construction was directed by Major General Babcock, and later Second Lieutenant Robert E. Lee. Located on Cockspur Island at the mouth of the Savannah River. Kazimierz Pulaski was a Polish soldier and military commander who fought in the American Revolution under the command of George Washington. He took part in the sieges of Charleston and of Savannah. The fort was constructed of an estimated 25,000,000 bricks built over wooden pilings sunk up to 70 feet into the mud. Construction took 18 years and cos almost $1,000,000. The eleven foot thick walls were thought to be impenetrable at the time the Fort would be invincible to enemy attack. This proved to be a wrong assumption during the Civil War, and the fort sustained quite a bit of damage. It was transferred to the National Park Service in 1933 and repairs were made by the Civilian Conservation Corps. It is now on the National Register of Historic Places and open to the public.
The postcard was produced by the Thomas Dexter Press which operated between 1934-1980 out of West Nyack, New York. They printed a wide variety of postcards using processes such as linens and photochromes. Dexter was the inventor of gang printing, a process where multiple printing jobs can be printed on one sheet. This process saved time and money. The company merged with MWM Color Press in 1980 to become MWM Dexter, and they moved to Aurora, Missouri.
272-D-6, 55136 appears on the bottom left side of the message box under the publisher's notice.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Postcard Collection, MS 016, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches
MS 016 Savannah Postcard Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.