Churches -- Cathedral of St. John, Savannah Ga.
Published by Coastal News Co. Savannah Ga., Natural Color Post Card made in U.S.A. by E. C. Kropp Co. Milwaukee Wis. GBY
Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Savannah -- Pictorial works.
Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (Savannah, Ga.) -- History.
Church buildings -- Georgia.
Color postcard printed on linen textured paper with no border and divided back. French settlers first established the parish of Congrégation de Saint Jean-Baptiste shortly before the end of the 18th century and established a small church in a wooden building. The parish quickly grew and selected another site on Drayton and Perry Streets. A church constructed of brick and seating 1,000 people was dedicated in 1839.
The Church of St. John the Baptist became a Cathedral in 1850 when the Diocese of Savannah was erected and a new building was planned on Abercorn Street. The Cathedral cornerstone was laid in 1873 and the Cathedral was dedicated in 1876. It was constructed of brick Cathedral in the French Gothic style. Bronze-colored iron columns supported triple rows of arches across the front entrance. The main altar and four side altars, crafted of white Italian marble, were designed by Baldwin & Price of Baltimore. Spires were added in 1896, and the building was stuccoed and whitewashed. A fire of 1898 destroyed much of the building, but restoration was begun immediately. Several further renovations have occurred since, the latest in 1998, completed in 2000 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the diocese.
The publisher of the postcard was E. C. Kropp, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. They published chromolithographic cards and, later, linen cards with a fine grain, between 1907 through 1956.
1102 appears on back of card at top above address side, 60 appears after title on front of card.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Postcard Collection, MS 016, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches
MS 016 Savannah Postcard Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.