Cemeteries and Parks -- Savannah Ga. Colonial Park, First Burial Ground in Savannah
Raphael Tuck & Sons "Art Publishers To Their Majesties The King And Queen." New York, London.
Parks -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Cemeteries -- Georgia -- Savannah -- History -- Pictorial works.
Color postcard of the Colonial Cemetery, with caption and message at bottom where there is a blank area. Back is undivided, with no caption, and is postmarked October 23, 1907. Located in the heart of Savannah’s Historic District, the cemetery's entrance is at the corner of Abercorn Street and Oglethorpe Avenue. Colonial Park is the oldest intact municipal cemetery in Savannah. It has also been called the Old Cemetery, Old Brick Graveyard, South Broad Street Cemetery, and Christ Church Cemetery, and has served as the primary public cemetery from 1750 to 1853. The brick building visible in the far left at the end of the cemetery is the Police Barracks on Oglethorpe Street. It was completed in 1870 and is the oldest continually active police headquarters in the country.
This card was produced by Raphael Tuck & Sons, who had London and New York offices between 1866 and 1960. Founded in 1866 by Raphael Tuck, a seller of furniture, pictures, and frames, the company began concentrating on the picture side of the business in the 1890s. In 1894, they printed their first Souvenir Cards. Tuck began the printing of postcards in chromolithograph. They became the first publisher to print postcards in a larger size, which became the standard. Their designs were innovative and they used a wide variety of printing techniques. They published a large variety of other formats, eventually becoming a major publishing house. Their London factory and offices were destroyed in 1940 during a German bombing raid, but after the war they began publishing again. The company was purchased by Purnell & Sons in the 1960’s. They began numbering their cards in 1898, but the system never was consistent. During the time period that this card was produced, the company was producing chromolithography.
Post card series no. 2126 "Savannah Ga." found next to publisher information on back.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Postcard Collection, MS 016, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches
MS 016 Savannah Postcard Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.