Cemeteries and Parks -- The Palmetto Avenue, Colonial Park, Savannah GA
The Valentine & Sons Publishing Co. Ltd. New York, Printed in Great Britain
Cemeteries -- Georgia -- Savannah -- History -- Pictorial works.
Parks -- Georgia -- Savannah.
Color postcard with view of palm lined walk and park benches of the Colonial Cemetery. Image appears to be hand colored surrounded by a wide border. Back is divided with no caption and is postally unused. Located in the heart of Savannah’s Historic District, the Colonial Cemetery's entrance is at the corner of Abercorn Street and Oglethorpe Avenue. Colonial Park is the oldest intact municipal cemetery in Savannah. It has also been called the Old Cemetery, Old Brick Graveyard, South Broad Street Cemetery, and Christ Church Cemetery, and has served as the primary public cemetery from 1750 to 1853.
The card was published by Valentine and Sons. Originally a Scottish publisher, they opened a New York office in 1907. The cards were still printed in Great Britain and used a lithographic halftone process that had a distinct look. Postcards were numbered and have a three digit prefix and a three digit suffix.
On the postcard front, 203 439 JV on lower right corner.
Scholars wishing to cite this item should include item title, Savannah Postcard Collection, MS 016, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design, and the item's url.
3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches
MS 016 Savannah Postcard Collection, Jen Library Archives and Special Collections, the Savannah College of Art and Design.
Though this item is believed to be in the Public Domain, copyright may have been retained by the authors or creators of items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.